Tuesday, April 19, 2011

My first week of college...




" As I entered the quad, anxious to begin my college experience, I began to feel very nervous.
The thought of actually being in college frightened me."


I hate dis study!!
One of my biggest fear about freshman year was coping with moving so far away from my parents...
But I decided I'd just have to take this as an opportunity to grow. I knew it I'd be different, but there were a few things that hit me harder than I was anticipating.

I'm out of my own : 
I have to fight off the temptation of hanging out with friends just doors away & whip myself into studies, or doing laundry, or eating, for that matter...I have literally forgotten to eat meals. And on that note, while the dinner hall food is actually good, its nothing like mum's food.
Well on the plus side, I don't have to ask permission just to get out of the "house". My schedule is now mine...

My parents know I'm on my own :
Which means that when I checked my cell phone after the lectures last Thursday, there were twelve text messages and few miss calls from the same two phone numbers that belongs to my house...!

I actually like it here, sometimes :
The biggest challenge of all has been balancing past and future. I promised my parents for some webcam time, I told my friends I'd call, I owe my sister a mail...
But at the same time, I want to check out some campus events, I want to study with new people, I want to go out to dinner with my roommate. As much as I miss seeing my friends & my family...I genuinely feel at home so far, and I almost feel guilty for it....!

While there have been tough ropes to race through, they have all made some of the best moments of my first week of college and a challenge still a invaluable lesson for the rest of my life...
Adjusting to a new environment, being exposed to different types of people and deeply evaluating my relationships are all things I would have had to face eventually.. I'm just glad that I took the chance to do so at a time and place where thousands of other students are going through the same thing!


(A Piece from my diary-entry & answer to someone who asked me - "why am I not like others?")

Above picture is taken at Sukna, West Bengal. 15th March, 9:17PM during 12th board Exam. 

3 comments:

  1. i must say bhiya u must write a novel fr this coz i defanetaly believe that u'll b a successfull novelist.....pls try it once:)
    u wrote like a professinal novelist......really....:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i must say bhiya u must write a novel fr this coz i defanetaly believe that it will b a successfull novel.....pls try it once:)
    u wrote like a professinal novelist......

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree with priya dat u must try writting novels or atleast prepare for biography
    and d blogs seems to me personal ,,individual .............................

    ReplyDelete